Αρχική arrow Location
Location - Information about area

Kalami Village

Kalami village is located 15km east of Chania, on the southern coast of Souda Bay and near the village Megala Chorafia. It has a spectacular view over the Bay and the fort of Souda. It is also close to the ancient city of Aptera and the Turkish forts of Intzedin and Palekastro.

Just 500m northern of the village, a beautiful beach with deep water and round pebbles is shaped. At the eastern end, there is a tiny harbor with boats. The beach is very popular to the locals, but still and not very well organized. There are some umbrellas and a few tamarisk trees. There are a few options for accommodation and food in the wider region and the village.

Itzedin Fortress

Itzedin Fortress

Itzedin fortress

The fort of Intzedin is the only fort on Crete built by the Turks, located on the hill Kalami, 15km east of Chania and has a panoramic view to Souda Gulf. The fortress of Intzedin was built in 1872 by Reouf Pasha, on the same location where in 1646 the first Turks built a tower, chasing away the Venetians. It was the main defense construction of the port and was named "Intzedin" to honor the first born son of the Sultan Abdul Aziz Intzedin. In posterior years, the building was used as a prison for political prisoners, prisoners of the common criminal law and for prisoners who received the death penalty.

Souda Islet

Souda Islet


Souda is the name of the small island that stands like a guard in the entrance of the gulf of Souda., a natural harbor protected by the high mountains the east of Chania, on the northeast side of the port of Chania. On its northwest side, there is another smaller and round island, named Leon, recorded on Venetian maps as the "island of rabbits" (Scoglio dei Conigli). There is also the Fortezza fortress.

Ancient Aptera

The ancient city of Aptera was founded in the 8th century BC in a panoramic position that controlled Souda Bay and flourished in the Hellenistic period. It was abandoned in the Arab years, when it was destroyed by the pirates (or an earthquake). The city ports were at Marathi and current Kalives. These great ports made Aptera one of the most important commercial centers of Crete, if not the greatest.According to tradition, it got its name from the Sirens who lost their wings after losing in a musical contest against muses, so they stayed wingless (aptera in Greek). However, it apparently got its name from Aptera Artemis (wingless Artemis) that was worshiped in the area, as evidenced by the coins of the city.

Fort of Koules

Fort of Koules

Fort of Koules

The fort of Koules is located in Paleokastro area, 12km east of Chania, near the village of Kalami and close to the ruins of ancient Aptera. The fort was built by the Turks after the Cretan Revolution of 1866, in the framework of a program to control Crete from a network of towers. The fortress was constructed by Hussein Avni Pasha, the Turkish governor of Crete and is a representative sample of the forting architecture of the 19th century.

Kalyves Village

Kalives is a seaside resort located 19km west of Chania, on the southern coast of Souda Bay. This small village is built on a fertile green valley, where three rivers flow. The village's name (i.e. “Huts” in Greece) seems to come from the huts that were built by farmers in their fields, to spend the summer nights.

Near the village, on its east side, flow the rivers of Xidas and Mesopotamos. Moreover, the many springs that gush inside the sea, combined with the rivers, decrease the sea temperature.

Almyrida Village

Almyrida Village is a few kilometers east of Kalyves. This village has a nice beach and a lot of restaurants and cafes.

 

info@kalami-villas.gr